Confessions from the gastrointestinal bug girl. . .
I started feeling better but was so enjoying your get well wishes .. .
I let you continue on all day . .
Thanks for being such great friends. . .I just appreciate you all.
Okay .. .what happened to my island counter you ask?
I actually was going to call this post. .
What a Girl Needs.
Then I realized that I'd be fibbing a bit and stretching the reality besides.
Yesterday in a moment of renewed energy and spring like sunshine coming through the windows . ..
I emptied my three kitchen gadget drawers in an attempt to bring some semblance of order back to the bungalow's kitchen.
If confessions are good for the soul ...
here is mine .. .
I have a wee bit of a fascination with kitchen gadgets.
They all look so "sure to make life easier" in the stores . . .
and yet . .
I find I'm often disappointed with their ratio of work effectiveness and rapid cleanabiltiy. (sure I know that isn't a word but I did smile when spell check offered "gullibility" instead .. .how did they know?)
I have a few things I couldn't live without.
I say that with personal disdain knowing full well if an earthquake would strike the bungalow .. . I could well be thankful for water and shelter.
However . . .as far as kitchen gadgets go . . .
please don't take my medium sized ice cream scoop that I use for my drop cookies . . .
nor my bench scraper . . .
nor my slotted wooden spoon . .
oh .. and please not my little serrated knife to slice tomatoes . .
to name a few.
If the saying goes in a woman's wardrobe that you should remove everything you haven't used for a year . ..
perhaps that makes sense for the kitchen gadgets as well.
I laid out all the gadgets that every kitchen should have.
- A bench scraper (starting at the top left hand corner)
- a pizza cutter
- a pastry cutter to make a nice edge ( okay . .not necessary but nice to have)
- a corkscrew
- different sized ice cream scoops for the obvious but for cookies mostly
- a melon ball maker (there is no such word as baller apparently)
- a pronged spaghetti lifter/spoon
- a potato masher
- a small grater (and of course a larger one but it doesn't fit in my drawer)
- a very fine grater
- a flat metal spatula . .for decorating cakes
- various sized rubber spatulas . . a narrow one is especially handy for narrow jars
- a non metal egg flipper
- two sizes of ladles .. .a smaller one is nice for sauces
- a large metal egg flipper which I most often use for cookies
- a wavy vegetable cutter. . not necessary but nice
- a garlic press
- a knife sharpener (dull knives are more dangerous than a sharp one)
- a pastry brush
- several sizes of whisks . (actually need a medium sized one . .. mom)
- serrated knives for bread ( a large one for proper loaves and a smaller one for banana bread type loaves)
- chefs knives for chopping .. .I like the ones that have little wedges in the blade . .it seems to make them slice easier. You really need various sizes.
- a narrow fillet knife to remove bones from fish
- a candy thermometer
- different sized serving spatulas for pie and lasagnas and dessert
- a can opener
- another bent blade metal spatula again for cake decorating
- several small tongs and one large tong (which is not shown)
- a paring knife
- a small serrated knife for tomatoes and soft fruits
- a small chef knife for cutting small vegetables
- a citrus reamer (love that thing)
- various wooden spoons. . I have a thing that I can not use a metal spoon in mixing against metal or china.
- the large opening in the wooden spoon is my favorite for batters
- large slotted spoons
- a meat mallet
- a meat fork
Oh .. and a few more necessary things I have in my cutlery drawer simply because it is right where I need it quick.
- 2 sets of measuring spoons. I have found that the narrow spoon set is wonderful to get into spice jars. . .look for one of those sets.
- a vegetable peeler
- a pastry blender
Sure. . and when you look back into two of my drawers you'll see more was put back than was on my necessary list.
I love those bag clips. . .I maybe don't need that many.
I shoved it all back in. ..
but at least it got a good wipe and one box is set aside for my dil's perusal.
Oh and do run past Judy's front porch today . ..it's her birthday!